No doubt that chemically straightened hair can give you a whole new appearance, and the process can finally bring your unruly hair under control. But you need to know more before you go for it. Chemical hair straightening is one such way to tame the unmanageable locks and curls. This technology was invented in Japan and today it has become popular worldwide. You can get rid of the flat irons once you have straightened your hair chemically. The chemicals applied on hair bring about permanent changes to the structure of the hair, transforming it to linear strands. The chemical bonds present within each individual strand of hair fiber are exposed to wear and tear that leads to change in the texture of the hair. The entire process is controlled by the chemicals bringing out the desired results.
Chemically straightened hair is a result of the following techniques ionic treatment, thermal straightening, and the protein treatment. A protein based chemical product is applied on the hair, that changes the texture of the mistreated hair. It is followed by ironing the hair resulting in super straight hair. Thermal reconditioning is the process wherein thermal irons are run over hair to make it straight after application of the desired chemicals. Ionic Hair Restructuring (IHR) is a Japanese technique of hair straightening. Prior to application of hair relaxers, it is exposed to pre-treatment and ionic spray. This keeps hair hydrated and restores its protein content. The hair is then ironed and finally dried with a special kind of hair dryer. Hair straightening is an expensive affair. To avoid the costs of salons, straightening kits are available in the market. If you follow the hair straightening tips carefully then you can easily do chemical hair straightening at home. The technique is clearly explained in the instruction leaflet and is similar to that performed in salons. The ironing step can be done with any type of electrical hair straightener.
If you already purchased a chemical hair straightening kit that available in the market, then you can following the procedure at home. Â Here’s how you can work with the same steps.
- Mix chemicals as mentioned in instructions leaflet provided with the kit.
- Place a towel around your neck to avoid skin irritation.
- Flat iron your locks to ensure that you have perfectly straightened hair
- Now start applying straightening cream section by section. While you work on one section, keep rest of the hair tied above. Starting from the nape, work upwards.
- Apply straightening cream with a hair brush thoroughly to cover all sections of hair. You need to be fast while doing this; as hair becomes hard because of chemicals.
- Once you cover all strands of hair with straightening cream, comb it straight downwards. Leave it on your hair for specified duration and then rinse off.
- Rinse off the chemicals thoroughly and towel dry your hair, followed by blow drying.
- Now apply the neutralizing cream all over your hair.
- Rinse it off after 40-45 minutes using a specially designed shampoo for chemically straightened hair.
- Follow this with application of smoothing conditioner or hair mask. Rise it using plain water after 5 minutes and get set to don a glamorous look.
Also, here are some tips on maintaining :
- The harsh hair straightening products are known to dry out the hair and make it brittle. As such, getting yourself deep conditioning treatments every once in a while is important. You may also resort to hot oil conditioning at home, where you simply apply some warm olive or coconut oil on your scalp and wrap up your hair with a plastic wrap for a while before you wash it.
- Use hair care products specially formulated for chemically straightened hair. These help maintain the hair quality and have the treatment last longer. Specific shampoos and conditioners are available for this purpose, but confirm with your hairdresser which one you should use based on the texture of your hair.
- No matter which hair straightening technique you have opted for, your hair has already been exposed to a lot of heat in the process. As such, try to avoid the use of hair dryers and hair straighteners after your hair has undergone this treatment. Even the best hair straightener may cause your hair more damage, so you should definitely avoid the use of any heating products for the hair.
- If you wish to get your hair colored after you have had it straightened, first consult your hairdresser to find out if the process is appropriate for your hair. Remember that even coloring agents are loaded with bleaches and other chemicals, which will really strip your hair off all its nutrients. As such, find out if it is safe before you opt for it.
- Since your hair is now easier to manage, try to use a wide toothed comb instead of a hair brush to keep it under control. Hair brushes are likely to add frizz to your hair, and reduce the life of the treatment.
The process of straightening your hair chemically can largely alter your appearance and make you look like a completely different person. Any hair straightening treatment is bound to look gorgeous initially, and it can continue to look exactly that if you maintain it well. Hope this some information about chemically straightened hair will help you more or less to decide. Whether you go for it or not, itâ€™s all yours. However, getting chemical hair straightening done from a reputed beauty house ensures long-lasting results and the investment is just one time. If your hair has lost the natural goodness then opt for it.