Box braids hairstyles are individual braids starting at the roots of the hair. They are separated by small parts that look like boxes. These are much similar to the micro braids where-in you get a number of braids on your mane. Box braids can be created with extensions or natural hair and can be maneuvered into various styles. Extensions increase the length, fullness and styling optionsYou can find hair extensions in varied colors, textures and lengths. Go for single-colored hair extensions or have the multi-tone effect by using extensions of two shades of same colors. Let us move on to understand how to do box braids on natural hair using hair extensions.
- Start the procedure by thoroughly washing and conditioning your locks. Dry them well and get the tools like flat comb, rubber bands, clips, and water spray.
- If your hair is much unmanageable, the same can be first flat ironed and then box braided. Flat ironing hair will make working on them easier. Now, divide your entire hair in four big and equal sections. Loose wind up each section of hair using a large hair clutcher, leaving the lower left side section free.
- Now, you have to take a very thin strand of hair and divide it into two equal sections. Take one hair extension. Attach the hair extension to your hair depending upon its type and use it as the third section. You can part hair in three sections and club this extension with one of the three sections as well. Now, you have three strands to work upon.
- These braids consist of three-strand braids, one of which is a synthetic strand and rest of two are strands of natural hair. Now start braiding these three strands to have a long and tight braid. As you have to style hair into multiple micro braids further adding extensions to each braid, the procedure needs professional help.
- As you finish one braid, secure it using a rubber band. Now, take another thin section of hair, part it into two strands, add an extension and braid the three strands from root to ends. Go on following the procedure and braiding thin strands of this section of hair. Once the lower left section of your mane is completely styled into multiple braids, work on the lower right side section, followed by rest of the sections. Make sure that you secure each braid with a tiny rubber band.
- Wash braids weekly, and apply a light braiding oil to your scalp daily. Keep braids smooth and shiny by sleeping with a satin scarf wrapped around your braids. Don’t wear box braids or longer than 8 weeks, and trim hair after they are taken out.
- The services of a professional hair stylist are required to weave box braids, and the entire process can take 6 to 12 hours. Properly maintained, box braids can last several weeks.
- Box braids not only take a long time to weave, they also can take up to 2 hours to remove.
If you want to do box braids hairstyles without hair extensions, then you can follow the instruction below.
- Wash and deep condition your hair. Then starting from the back of your head section off sections of hair. You can decide how big or small to make your box braids. This all depends on how much time you have to create this hair style. If you are unsure how the outcome will look find a picture of braided hair styles you would like to try.
- Use the back of a rat tail comb to make smaller diagonal parts to begin plaiting your natural hair without extensions.
- Use shea butter, or your favorite hair oils on the ends of your hair. If your hair is dry use a spray bottle of leave in conditioner or water.
- Separate the ends starting at the bottom with your fingers. Rushing through this part, can cause you to tangle the ends of your hair. Run the oil or your favorite hair butter through your hands and on this section of hair.
- Separate the hair into three sections and begin to plait/braid.
- Oil the ends of your hair at least once a day.
- Try curling the ends of your hair with flexi rods or other hair rollers.
- Oil the ends of your hair every day.
- Grow hair faster by wearing protective hairstyles often.
And here are some example style of box braids hairstyles :
Box braid being a hairstyle that stays in place for a few months, you need to follow the right hair care and washing procedure. As you will be styling your box braided hair further, it is best to avoid heat styling. With colorful beads and hair accessories, playing up the braids is not a tough job. Remember to maintain your braids. Massage your scalp with Vitamin E oil or olive oil at least once a week to prevent dry flaking scalp and prevent itching. You will only need to wash your braids a few times a week. Focus on washing your scalp and not the braids themselves. Avoid regular use of heavy conditioners that can build up inside the braids and cause dandruff.